Friday 5 August 2011

You Know I’m No Good



 It may just be that I have a sense of compassion for women with drink & drug problems, having loved & lived with one so closely. It may also have something to do with the fact that this is not the only resemblance between the Late Amy Winehouse and my much missed Mum.
·         They both had a hugely individual sense of style with big hair and Feline eye make-up.
·         They both had a passion for music
·         They both said what they thought at whatever the cost
·         They were both as fearless as they were afraid
·         And they were both as vibrant and creative as they were tragic and pitiful.


Whatever it is, the news of Miss Winehouse’s recent passing has hit me much harder than I would have expected. Not serious grief but more a loss for the team?

 A compassion for those closest around her, for the pain they are feeling. I know it well.
The tragedy of another woman found alone in her empty flat. ALONE.

 Another victim of addiction? Or  a pathetic waster that should have tried harder?

I find the second option much harder to swallow. I have clear reasons for this. Obvious ones and I do believe that all the negative comments come from those who have never lived with, no correct that, LOVED a person with addiction issues (a category that I don’t count myself out of before you all wonder?)

Anyone who finally loses the fight against themselves and the issues or addictions they suffer with, in whatever form is a figure of tragedy whether they have had a bestselling album or just managed to fight through life and who may have a very different list of achievements.

The saddest issue is the fact that the persons tortured in this way never see the successes or triumphs that they achieve. Anxiety (even if well hidden with a bolshy façade), substance abuse and irrational thinking prevent it. It’s only the faults, the fails that are seen.
 (I know that both from personal experience and from close study, field research you could say. Extensive work I may add!)

It makes no difference whether the death is that of a soul singing modern icon, or someone’s mother, these 2 women both have an effect;

Amy joins the Infamous 27 Club http://www.the27s.com/whilst leaving behind a small but powerful back catalogue of music and enough interest to fuel a thousand “Heat Magazine” Specials or Bio Channel documentary’s with bad American talk overs,

My mother leaves a smaller legacy, a personal one. A Back Catalogue of memories.
Both women leave a chilling message from beyond the grave however.

Aiming to cure the addiction through Rehab or with short term fixes is never enough. To be effective you have to get to root of the problem, the issues or inner turmoil that the addiction is masking and work on that. Without that all attempts at regaining control are doomed to failure.

So in regards to my own personal situation at the moment I’m more determined than ever to turn things around.
 Mum, Amy….”Raise your glasses ladies! This one’s for you!”

TheArtfulBlogger

No comments: